Goodwood

Goodwood

Thursday 24 November 2011

What do I have to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day?

Well loads actually! I have my health back… so that’s got to be a winner in anyone’s vocabulary. And I have time to do what I want to do as currently my time is my own. I have a family that love me and I love them. So what more could I possibly want?

I’m looking forward to driving again in a couple of weeks but in the mean time I walk as far as I can and see many things that I would miss if I was driving. And I’ve been a passenger for the past seven weeks and this has allowed me to look out of the window and admire the view more keenly. Peek in to more gardens than I usually see. Observe more detail, like last night’s glorious sunset, a blood orange infused sky.

I sleep well most nights and if it’s damp and foggy outside when I wake, I slide back beneath the sheets and have breakfast in bed and then read a book, before surfacing to have a long soak in the bath. I’m certain a few of my friends with young children would choose to swap with me if they had a chance.

My greatest pleasure recently has been walking along the seafront on a glorious autumn day when the sun has shone and the wind has dropped so that the day is balmy with a gentle onshore breeze giving me a refreshing and delightful walk. It has felt restorative.

These are just a few of the things I have to be grateful for recently and if I sat down and wrote a proper list of gratitude I think it would go on for quite some while.

If you had to sit and write a list what would spring to mind first? A gratefulness for your creativity, an ability to communicate, or simply being here.

Over the next month I’m going to make a daily record of what I have to be grateful for in the run up to Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post and I am left thinking how life affirming it was to read. As someone who is finding it difficult at the moment I thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay - I found you via Ange's blog. Nice to meet you!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post, Kay, well said.
    Happy Thanksgiving, and hope you have an awesome weekend ahead :)

    The first thing that pops into my mind:
    after a life-scare a couple of years ago, I think the most important thing I'm thankful for is being alive. Everything somehow, sooner or later, falls into place from there.

    ReplyDelete