Goodwood

Goodwood

Sunday 20 February 2011

I adore it passionately...

Overheard today: ‘I adore it passionately. I want to do nothing else.’ I thought what a lucky man!

And then it dawned on me and I realised that I too could have said those exact words: because how lucky am I?

I loved writing, always did, but I never thought I was terribly good at it. Isn’t that sad? However despite some strange opposition I kept it up – kept going even when I got criticised, however when I was younger I did not expect to get published… that was beyond my wildest dreams!

If I’m honest one of the things I miss most now is to receive a letter, in the post. News from a friend telling me all that has happened in her life. If I’m lucky, I will get one or two of these delightful letters at Christmas and then I make a point of sitting down with a cuppa and enjoying this update, whether it’s good or bad. It’s still very special to sit and read a personal letter, addressed to you, the recipient.

I still write letters, mostly to aunts who live abroad, to give them a brief overview of what’s going on with the family. But my aunts are elderly and their replies get shorter, yet they still send me a response, an acknowledgment.

How difficult in our busy lives today would it be to resume writing and posting letters? To loved ones, to a dear friend, to family?

But then perhaps, like me the writer in you never stopped…

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand what you are saying. When I was at school my best friends and I used to write each other letters in the holidays and even some evenings. I still have all of those letters!

    I do miss the personal side of letters. Emails aren't the same. But I have one friend who always writes in longhand. He is getting old and frail and his letters are now mostly typed, but he signs his own name. I love receiving those little envelopes.

    ReplyDelete