Goodwood

Goodwood

Friday 20 July 2012

Watts Gallery

Continuing with my theme of fascinating places to visit if you’re here on staycation this summer or a visitor from further a field… I would strongly recommend that you add the next idea to your list:

Watts Gallery, near Compton in Surrey

I found this gallery after it had been featured on the Restoration programme on BBC2 and came in second place some years ago. However the programme did secure funds for this venue to be saved, because the roof leaked and the water damage to the fabric of the building had deteriorated and was in danger of destroying the art work. The building was at risk. Since then it has been restored.

Watts Gallery is a wonderful place. Currently the exhibition on display is celebrating Dickens, until October.

However my favourite part of this venue is seen on the approach to the art gallery.

The Watts MEMORIAL Chapel


This is a Victorian Arts & Crafts movement at it absolute best! An extraordinary piece of architecture designed and built by Mary Watts, wife of George Frederick, the painter. And a beautiful and wonderful place to be buried.




The Chapel is rich in symbolism and I’ve just discovered a book written about it, so that has been added to my wish list. And I have enclosed some photographs for you to get a flavour of the place. Because each visitor I have take here has been mesmerized by the place. It has a quiet beauty.


#Staycation idea no 4

No comments:

Post a Comment